Thursday, February 18, 2010

Adventures & Chicken Tequila Fettucini

As it is with most things in my life, the time I spend in my kitchen always tends to be adventurous. Whether it ends up with toasters on fire, marinara on the ceiling or just looooots of empty wine bottles, I always have fun!

Monday night was no exception. Jodi and I needed to get together to order the invites for a shower we are cohosting and I just so happened to have all the ingredients needed to make chicken tequila fettucini on-hand. Perfect!

This recipe was what made me fall in love with cooking. I was a city girl living in Lubbock, Texas (aka nowhere NEAR California Pizza Kitchen where the recipe was created) and this was one of my favorite dishes. The realization that CPK had a cookbook + some stubborn determination led me to tackle this somewhat complicated recipe as my first real culinary feat. Nine years and countless attempts later, I think I finally have this sucker down. It is pretty much as close to the original as you can get. Ironically enough, even though I am back in Dallas, I rarely venture out of my kitchen to go to CPK when I am craving it.

So Monday night I decided to bust this recipe out. I'm not sure if it was the year and a half of heavy use, the fact that I had all four burners going at once, or a faulty product, but midway through meal prep my vent hood started making these horrible noises and stinking. I mean stinking.

Jodi and I were honestly afraid it was going to blow up, but since it comes on automatically we had no way of turning it off. So we turned the gas off, took a few steps back, and pulled out the fire extinguisher (thanks mom and dad!). It wasn't getting better so Jones made the executive decision to locate the breaker. We scouted the house, found the breaker and turned the kitchen off. Only problem- the burners wouldn't relight and dinner wasn't finished. So being the intelligent, girl-scout-problem-solving-ish girls that we are... we decided to flip the breaker back on, relight the gas burners, and then flip it back off and see if we could finish dinner that way. Sure enough, it worked!

Dinner, check! House not burning down, check!

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times... Martha WHO???

To make a long story short: we survived, the house is still in tact, and dinner was delicious. Teensy tiny Jones even had seconds! (something I've rarely witnessed even though I'm told she rarely met a Budweiser she didn't like in college).

To get the deeeelicious Chicken Tequila Fettucini recipe click here.

And just for sh*ts and giggles since blog posts without pictures are like a fat kid without cake, a picture for you of Jones and I getting into trouble as usual (this time was in NYC if my memory serves me correctly):
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. you might lose your "contributor" rights for posting this photo! :-) haha...good times in NYC! love the hat btw ;-)

    ReplyDelete