Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Real Estate Apple Pie

For the whole story about the title, visit my personal blog, but I will give you the shortened version... My husband and I were recently approached by a local real estate agent to do a one-time showing and in the process of preparing the house, I purchased a bunch of apples. I already had Fuji apples, but they are not good for baking, so I bought several Granny Smith and Red Delicious apples because I wanted to have a variety of color. I suppose I should have called Jodi for advice, since she is the one with the experience in that department, but it was kind of a whirlwind. Anyway, a few days passed after the showing and we had eaten a few of the apples, but I needed to do something with them, so I decided to dust off my trusty apple pie recipe and add a twist. Usually, I use Granny Smith apples in my pies, but this time, I used three Granny Smith, three Red Delicious, and one Fuji apple. It may sound funny, but trust me, it was delicious.

Ingredients:
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
3 Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
1 Fuji apple, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
1 T lemon juice
2 T flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend
1 Box Pillsbury Refrigerated 9-inch Pie Crust (2 crusts enclosed) at room temp
*If they can make it better than I can, there is no point in me killing myself to make it homemade!
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel, core, and slice apples into large mixing bowl. I tend to slice my apples thinner than most, but that just means more surface area for the sugar and spice mixture!

Once apples are all in bowl, top with lemon juice, sugar, flour, and spice blend.
Mix well, until apples are coated with sugar and spice mixture. You may need to perform a taste-test at this point, because the apples are so delicious.
Unroll your first pie crust (if you forgot to take it out of the fridge/freezer, you can always pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to make them unroll easier) and place into pie dish. Smooth on bottom, against sides, and make folds in crust where necessary. Once prepared, spoon apples into pie dish, leaving the remaining juice behind (or your pie juices may overflow into your oven). Level the apples and if too full, remove slices.
Unroll second pie crust and place over apples in pie dish. Fold the edges over and knead the two crusts together to form a seal along the edges. Once all edges are closed, use a fork to poke holes in the top of the crust and I always put an "A" in the center - for Apple, of course! You can also use your fork to press down the edges of the pie for a decorative edge, but I did not on this pie.
Using a pie-crust shield or tin foil, cover the outermost edges of the pie to protect them from burning. Bake pie at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, check pie. Bake 20 minutes longer. Allow pie to cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment